Skip to main content
33 weeks 5 days.

This morning started off with a beautiful sunrise - pink tinged sky. And it went by so fast!

I woke up to my adorable husband sleeping next to me on the hospital couch. I sent him to work and spent the morning finishing one of the projects given to me by Dr. Draper (and got it done! yay!).

And I continued to get visitors throughout the day. Christina H came by and gave me a yummy bagel. Emily dropped by a present, including a cat coloring book with pencils. I LOVED it and can't wait to start working on it this weekend. I enjoyed the conversations I had with my visitors today so much and had a great time just seeing everyone. Jen K spent a few hours working in my room and we both just worked on our computers - felt like we were in a library studying and I was grateful for that.

Funny story - my RN said that another nurse on the unit asked her if "the patient in 2309 was really sick. I just see so many doctors and people going into that room!" She got a good chuckle, as did I.

In the afternoon, I walked with Jen and Jess to the front of the hospital... and got to spend 5 minutes sitting outside. My first time being outside since Monday. It was so nice to just sit there and feel the wind. We went to Starbucks in the hospital after and hung out for a few more minutes... I must say I felt very safe sitting with 2 obgyn chief residents:)

One of the crummy parts of being in this situation is that I am unable to work some of my upcoming call shifts. And here is where my work family has been so amazing. My co-residents immediately picked up the slack - no questions asked. It's another reason I know, hands down, that I go to the best residency ever. I'm so, so thankful for them. Jess is picking up my call shift this weekend, and is currently on LND. She was able to eat dinner with me, as Stu brought us both Chick-fil-A. It was so good... I was getting a little tired of hospital food (even though it hasn't been bad).

I spent a little time on LND tonight, and now I am hanging out with Charles. Not a bad day at all!

I'm thankful for:
1. Another stable day! NO fevers, normal vitals. No changes in physical exam.
2. The exceptional care I am getting at the hospital. And the opportunity to get to know the nurses better. Although I have worked with them the past 4 years, we don't really have that much contact outside of getting some updates about our patients or talking with them when something goes wrong. It is really nice to get to know them on a personal level... and I feel somewhat guilty I'm just doing it now.
3. My family and friends. My work family. I'm thankful for this every day.

Dear Baby,

You gave me a TINY scare today. Honestly, it was nothing. Your heart rate was just a little bit higher than it had been the past few days (and with an elevated heart rate, this could mean a sign of infection), but overall your tracing looked beautiful. From a doctor's prospective, I would have not given this change in heart rate too much thought - overwhelmingly, it is normal. But, from a mother's perspective, I was WORRIED. So much so, that the team got another NST in the afternoon to give me some relief.

I bet I am going to feel this sense of worry after you are born with every hiccup, cough, or sneeze... and even more so since you will be a preemie. Becoming a mother is so strange; a changing of yourself from being a mainly selfish person to a selfless provider to a tiny human being. And although none of this week was "part of the plan," I know it is 100% what you need... and I would do anything to give you the best chance of doing well after you take your first breath. Sorry you have such a type A mom (future tiger mom;)

We love you!!! One more day closer to meeting you!

"Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10.


The view from my hospital window this AM.

My sweet husband sleeping on the uncomfortable hospital couch

Fun gifts from Emily today.. a fellow Texan
Two non-stress tests today!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 weeks 4 days. I felt most like a resident today. I was able to get a pretty good nights sleep, and woke up in time to attend Pre-op conference... something I would have done if none of this PPROM (premature rupture of membranes) stuff happened. Wearing my Aggie T-shirt and pregnancy jeans... it was fun to defend the list with Alli and just learn from the upcoming patients and cases. I came back, worked on stuff, and then got to go to chief meeting and M&M conference. What a great conference today too! Jess and Karissa did a really good job. It was the most "normal resident day" of this week. And I was thankful. Still getting visitors throughout the day, and love it! And phone calls! I also got to talk to my close friend Sandy today for awhile on video chat, which always brightens my day:) I'm thankful for: - Another stable day. Baby had a beautiful non-stress test today and he has been moving a lot! - Baby is head down, GBS negative (no need for addition
33 weeks 1 day. Today did not turn out the way I thought it would be. It was suppose to be a really fun day. 3 laparoscopic hysterectomies with one of my favorite attendings, and ticking off one more day towards a term pregnancy. I was starting to get comfortable with the idea that maybe I could be a "normal" pregnancy... I know I was diagnosed with cholestasis just last week, and the decision to deliver between 37 -39 weeks was the hardest debate all weekend. It was a nice weekend - my first weekend off after working 2 call shifts and operating almost daily for the past 19 days. I got to spend time with some friends, went on a long walk around the park with my husband, and relaxed at home. I was heading upstairs to preop my first patient today, when I felt the urge to detour into OBES.  I asked Amy, one of our amazing CNMs, if she could make sure I did not break my bag of water... I had felt leaking all morning but was sure it was probably just urine. I hoped. Until s
33 weeks 2 days. Today started off rough. Getting IV antibiotics scheduled at different times (ampicillin every 6 hours and erythromycin every 8 hours) was not conducive to sleep at all. The nurses have been amazing, but I wasn't able to finally get to sleep until 3 from the unfortunate timing of everything. And I woke up at 6 when Charles left this morning for work. I wanted to try and form some sort of schedule for myself so I'm not just lounging around all day... so I got up and started to do some work. This morning started off poor - on/off crying. The 2nd Betamethasone shot (which feels like getting 3 Tdap shots all at the same time) was so painful. The burning from the erythromycin. Man. I am having so much sympathy for antepartum patients right now. I just don't know how some of them can do this for weeks and weeks. And I have only been here for less than 2 days. I was able to work on some things my program director, Dr. Draper, is having me do while I am inp